I am new to freelance writing. I’m giving it a try.
That’s not to say I’m not an experienced writer, but I also don’t have a tailored portfolio to offer potential clients.
My writing experience includes 1) a little over a year at Linuxcare, a dot-com era company that is sadly now long gone, where I mostly wrote answers to frequently asked questions for their web site, which also no longer exists; and 2) the writing I did on my way to a Ph.D. in Human Science, a field you are unlikely to have heard of, and which now seems to be dead, at least in the English-speaking world. Some samples of my academic writing can be found on Academia.edu. My blog is Not Housebroken and focuses mostly on politics.
You will likely infer from my résumé that I’ve been on this planet for a few trips around the sun and this likely explains the failure of my search for regular employment. What it also means is that I bring a wealth of experience in a variety of situations.
Terms and Conditions
- Payment in full will be expected immediately upon completion.
- Absolutely no flat rates. All time and expenses will be billed, including:
- writing and editing time,
- research time,
- transportation time and mileage (at the current Internal Revenue Service rate),
- any additional expenses (including but not limited to travel).
- Any revisions will be charged as above.
- My work will be consistent with my ethics.
- If you’re supposed to do work for an academic assignment, whether at the primary, secondary, or post-secondary level, you need to do that work yourself. Don’t even ask me.
My contact information is here. I recommend email.
Thank you for your consideration.
- Susan Chenery, “Poverty and ageing: ‘we’re swept under the carpet and pushed aside,’” Guardian, April 24, 2019, https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/apr/25/poverty-and-ageing-were-swept-under-the-carpet-and-pushed-aside; Carol Hymowitz, “Older Workers Have a Big Secret: Their Age,” Wall Street Journal, November 17, 2019, https://www.wsj.com/articles/older-workers-have-a-big-secret-their-age-11574046301; Gloria Jackson, as told to Eli Saslow, “‘I apologize to God for feeling this way,’” Washington Post, May 2, 2020, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/02/elderly-woman-coronavirus-lonely-expendable/; Sarah Jones, “No One Should Be Surprised That America Abandoned the Elderly to Die,” New York, July 9, 2020, https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/america-is-sacrificing-the-elderly-to-coronavirus.html; Laura Newberry, “The pandemic has amplified ageism. ‘It’s open season for discrimination’ against older adults,” Los Angeles Times, May 1, 2020, https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-01/coronavirus-pandemic-has-amplified-ageism; Sarah Todd, “Older people are the one group egalitarians discriminate against,” Quartz, April 22, 2021, https://qz.com/work/1999849/one-surprising-cause-of-ageism-in-the-workplace/; Isabel Togoh, “Texas Official Suggests ‘Lots’ Of Grandparents Would Be Willing Risk Coronavirus Death To Keep Economy Going,” Forbes, March 24, 2020, https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/03/24/texas-official-suggests-lots-of-grandparents-would-be-willing-risk-coronavirus-death-to-keep-economy-going/↩